Changes

Many changes. 
In the past month, I've moved, from the quiet solitude of the country that has been home for ten years, to the city heart of Albury, in New South Wales. The studio is now in the central business district - I step out my door, and there is the main street of town, right before me. 

I've had to leave much behind that was familiar, not only the little house with its pink and blue rooms, but the grave of my beloved dog, Isis, and all the memories we shared. It has been a truly heart wrenching experience, but the next journey has begun.... In a White Room. 
Now, it's all about translating that journey into new artwork, and finding new sources for inspiration and imagining; it's been a long time since I lived in an urban setting, and the lifestyle is a total turn around from the isolation of the country. 

The new apartment is actually quite old, part of a historical building - I'm surrounded by whispers of history and time, blended with the hum and buzz of modern life - a perfect location for my gothic sensibilities; crows visit regularly, and I sit sipping coffee on my landing above an old winding staircase. 
There is more yet to do; familiarising myself with the personality and quirks of a new home takes time, and as this is now my fourth studio, I have learned from experience that time is needed to create just the right atmosphere and space for my art life. A studio must take on a life of
its own, not just be some room where one works, or some beautifully designed work of interior decoration - it is, in a sense, an organism living in symbiosis with the artist, giving and taking in a bonded relationship. 

As that happens, I'm working in the meantime on small vignettes, small drawings that capture a thought of emotion, as well as commissioned works that have been in line during this transition. 
The art life never stops. There's always more to come...